Board Certified in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (Physiatry), Sports and Pain Medicine with a fellowship from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN, Dr. Gerard Malanga is a renowned specialist in nonsurgical treatment of orthopedic injuries such as neck/back pain, shoulder/knee and other musculoskeletal disorders. Dr. Malanga lectures throughout the US and internationally on a variety of sports medicine, spine, orthopedic and pain management topics. He provides sports medicine services to several local NJ high school/colleges and has served as the head team physician of New Jersey City University since 1999. He has served as a consultant to the Rutger’s University Athletic Department. His practice includes the treatment of athletes from recreational to the College, Olympic and Professional levels.
Dr. Gerard Malanga has co-authored The Atlas of Ultrasound-Guided Musculosketal Injections textbook (a comprehensive text on ultrasound guided injections of the Musculoskeletal system) and Regenerative Treatments in Sports and Orthopedic Medicine (the first comprehensive book devoted to orthobiologic treatments for orthopedic conditions written for physicians) as well as contributing regularly to SpineUniverse.com. He was recently elected president for the Interventional Orthopedics Foundation.
Awards and Achievements
- “Top Doctor” in the New York Metro Area; NJ Monthly Best Doctors in New Jersey, New York Magazine, Inside Jersey and Best Doctors in America since 2004
- President-Elect for the Interventional Orthopedic Foundation (IOF) for 2019/2020
- Compassionate Doctor, On Time and Patient’s Choice Awards since 2011
- Published two textbooks “Whiplash” and “Scientific Evidence of Musculoskeletal Physical Examination” as well as over 60 articles and 25 book chapters regarding various musculoskeletal issues
- Professor at the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation UMDNJ
- Invited Speaker and Instructor at 2016’s meeting of the American Institute of Ultrasound Medicine held at the world-famous Andrews Institute for Orthopedic and Sports Medicine in Gulf Breeze, Florida (May 19-22, 2016) where he spoke on “Ultrasound-Guided Injections of the Knee”
- Received the Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award 2017
- Accepted into the Marquis Who’s Who of 2018 which is comprised of the top 3% of the professionals in the world.
- American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (AAPM&R)
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
- International Spinal injection Society (ISIS)
- American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians (ASIPP)
- North American Spine Society (NASS)
- International Cellular Medicine Society (ICMS)
- International Cartilage Repair Society (ICRS)
- American Institute of Ultrasound Medicine (AIUM)
- American Academy and Board of Regenerative Medicine (AABRM)
- Interventional Orthopedic Foundation
Published Articles and Books
- Muscle Relaxants in the Treatment of Acute Low Back Pain via Spine Universe.
- Medications to Relieve Back Pain via Spine Universe.
- Medication and Treatment of Acute Low Back Pain via Spine Universe.
- Physical Therapy: TENS, Ultrasound, Heat and Cryotherapy via Spine Universe.
- Cervicogenic Headaches Start in the Neck via Spine Universe.
- Trigger Point Spinal Injections for Low Back Pain via Spine Universe.
- Role of Trigger Points (Myofascial Pain Syndrome) in Neck Pain via Spine Universe.
- Whiplash: 5 Things You Should Know via Spine Universe.
- Point/Counterpoint in the May PM&R Journal of Gerard A. Malanga, MD, Samuel Dona, MD, (Adipose Tissue) versus Joanne Borg-Stein, MD and Michael Auriemma, MD (BMAC – Stem Cells) on the case history of a 56 year old woman suffering from Knee Osteoarthritis and Chronic Knee Pain.
- Regenerative Medicine: An interview with Dr. Gerry Malanga and Ken Mautner on SoundCloud via the Joint Commission on Sports Medicine and Science.
- Spine Specialists On-Call: Paralysis – How Close Are We to Walking Again? Written by Gerard Malanga, MD, Matthew Shatzer, DO and William Scelza, MD via Spine Universe.
- Refractory Shoulder Pain with Osteoarthritis, and Rotator Cuff Tear, Treated With Micro-Fragmented Adipose Tissue Research Article for the Journal of Orthopaedics Spine and Sports Medicine.
- Healthy and Natural World’s article “Pain in The Left Side of Back Under Ribs: What It Means According to Science” by Jenny Hills features Gerard Malanga, MD.
- Acetaminophen in the Treatment of Acute Low Back Pain written by Gerard Malanga, MD for Spine Universe.
- Gerard Malanga, MD’s interview in Spine Universe regarding his care philosophy with his patient suffering from Lower Back Pain.
- Gerard Malanga, MD’s Co-Authored Book, Regenerative Treatments in Sports and Orthopedic Medicine, now available via Kindle and Hardcover.
- Back Pain and Stretching Exercises via Spine Universe.
- Rotator Cuff Injury via Medscape.com.
- The Role of Low-Intensity Pulsed Ultrasound on Cartilage Healing in Knee Osteoarthritis: A Review published in the American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation’s official scientific journal, PM&R.
- “Response to: Rho et al.“Deconstructing Chronic Low Back Pain in the Older Adult-Step by Step Evidence and Expert- Based Recommendations for Evaluation and Treatment. Part VIII: Lateral Hip and Thigh Pain”, was published in Oxford University Press.
- Degenerative Lumbar Disc Disease in the Mature Athlete via Medscape.com.
- Does Insurance Provide Significant Benefits to Patients?
- Low Back Pain Relief and Pneumatic Vest Use via SpineUniverse.com.
- Sitting Disease and Its Impact on Your Spine via SpineUniverse.com and the February 1st SpineAdvisor.
- Lumbosacral Radiculopathy article via Medscape.com.
- Cervical Radiculopathy article via Medscape.com.
- Sports Medicine 2e: Study Guide and Review for Boards 2nd ed. Edition, a highly regarded book on Sports Medicine, has a chapter by Dr. Malanga concerning Regenerative Medicine in Sports Medicine.
- Orthobiologic Interventions Using Ultrasound Guidance Article in the August 2016 issue of the Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Clinics of North America journal.
- Dr. Malanga’s textbook, Atlas of Musculoskeletal Ultrasound-Guided Injections, is one of the top 5 McGraw-Hill first editions of the last 5 years.
- Dr. Gerard Malanga recently received a certificate from the publishers of the journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, stating that his article “Outcomes After Ultrasound-Guided Platelet Rich Plasma Injections for Chronic Tendinopathy: A Multicenter, Retrospective Review” was one of the five most highly cited papers in the journal of PM&R during 2014 and 2015.
- Dr. Gerard Malanga’s co-authored book, Musculoskeletal Physical Examination: An Evidence-Based Approach, is now in it’s second edition.